Guide to Philosophy on the Internet
Department, Earlham College
I stopped updating this guide in February 2003, after eight years online. I plan to leave it online for the foreseeable future and hope that enough links are still alive to make it useful.
I know that the guide contains many dead links and omits many valuable new sites. For a comprehensive, well-organized, and up-to-date guide to philosophy on the internet, I can recommend Tom Stone's EpistemeLinks.
|Philosophy Dictionaries and Glossaries
- ArtLex: A Lexicon of Visual Art Terminology.
From Michael Delahunt.
- Bioethics Thesaurus.
From the National Center for Bioethics Literature.
A glossary of "Christian History" from R. A. Tatum.
- Cognitive Science Dictionary. From Michael R.W. Dawson and David A. Medler. Browsable and searchable.
- Critical Thinking Glossary.
From Richard Paul and Linda Elder.
- Dictionnaire philosophique.
Voltaire's classic treatise.
Also see this 1924 English translation and abridgdment by H.I. Woolf.
- Dictionary of Consciousness.
- Dictionary of East Asian Buddhist Terms.
From Charles Muller.
- Dictionary of Islamic Philosophical Terms.
Based on M. Saeed Sheikh, Dictionary of Muslim Philosophy,
Institute of Islamic Culture, 1970.
- Dictionary of Philosophical Terms and Names.
From Garth Kemerling.
- Dictionary of the Philosophy of Mind.
From Chris Eliasmith. Peer-reviewed and searchable.
- A Dictionary of Sensibility.
Dictionary of the language of 18th century sensibility (terms such as "enthusiasm", "sublime", and "wit").
Illustrated with quotations. From R. F. Brissenden.
- Dictionary of Sorts.
From Robert Berman. Mostly terms in ethics.
- Etymologies of Philosophical Terms.
From Josh Wood.
- Free Online Dictionary of Philosophy (FOLDOP).
A collaborative effort edited by the folks at SWIF.
If you can correct mistakes or supply omissions, the editors want to hear from you.
- Glossary-Guide for Translating Husserl.
From Antonio Zirion Quijano.
- Glossary of Bioethics.
With a special focus on genetic technology. By Darryl R. J. Macer,
from his book, Shaping Genes: Ethics, Law and Science of Using New Genetic
Technology in Medicine and Agriculture,
Eubios Ethics Institute, 1990.
- Glossary of Buddhist Terms. From Paul Trafford.
- Glossary of Ethical Terms.
From the Online Ethics Center for Engineering and Science, Case Western Reserve University.
- Glossary of First-Order Logic. From Peter Suber.
- Glossary of Hegelian Terms.
From Andy Blunden.
- Glossary of Kant's Technical Terms.
From Steve Palmquist.
- Glossary of Leibniz's Monadology.
From Roger Jones.
- Glossary of Pali and Buddhist Terms.
From Access to Insight.
- Glossary of Philosophic Terms.
From Rich Gray's philosophy site at About.com.
- Glossary of Philosophical Terms.
From Nicholas Bunnin and E.P. Tsui-James's Blackwell Companion to Philosophy.
Blackwell has apparently removed this glossary from its site. I'm linking to a copy.
If anyone can assure me that this copy is unauthorized, I will remove my link.
- Glossary of Philosophical Terms and Names.
From James Eiswert.
- Glossary of Philosophy.
From Roger Jones.
- Glossary of the Philosophy of Mind.
From Darren Brierton.
- Glossary of Religious Terms.
From the Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance.
Specializing in terms that cause misunderstanding.
Unfortunately, the definitions themselves cause misunderstanding,
e.g. "Atheist: a person who does not believe in the existence of a deity about them if they do exist."
- Glossary of Sanskrit Terms in Integral Yoga Literature. Anonymous.
- Glossary of Terms in Eastern Philosophy. From James Fieser.
- A Glossary of Terms in Ethics. From Lawrence Hinman.
- Hegel Dictionary. From Paul Ashton.
- Humanities And Social Science Electronic Thesaurus.
Thesaurus maintained by Steve Hassan.
Part of the University of Essex Data Archive for the humanities and social sciences.
- In Other Words: A Lexicon of the Humanities.
Especially on literary criticism, rhetoric, linguistics, and identity politics.
From Randy Radney.
- The Ism Book. "A Field Guide to the Nomenclature of Philosophy."
By J. Peter Saint-André.
- Kant Lexicon. From G.J. Mattey. Small number of terms, but thorough definitions.
- Kant Glossary.
From Andrew Carpenter.
- The Lexical Navigator: A Dictionary of Philosophy.
From Barry Vaughan. Limited to the courses he teaches at Mesa Community College.
- Lexicon of Confucianism.
From Lao Sze-kwang. Thorough, well-organized, and searchable.
Marred only by annoying music.
- Lexicon of Foreign Words in English-Language Philosophy.
From Josh Wood.
- Mostly Modern Philosophical Glossary. From Larry Hauser.
- Nonlinear Dynamics and Complex Systems Theory Glossary of Terms.
Apparently from Andy Ilachinski.
- A Non-Philosopher's Guide to Philosophical Terms.
From James Maclaurin. A humorous guide.
- The Online Leibniz Dictionary. From Enrico Pasini and others. Still under construction.
- Other Philosophies: A to Z. From J. Will Pierce.
- PhilLex: Lexikon der Philosophie.
From Uwe Wiedemann. In German.
- A Philosophical Glossary.
From Justin Leiber.
- The Philosophical Lexicon.
Edited by Daniel Dennett.
Making humorous philosophical terms out of the surnames of prominent contemporary philosophers.
- Philosophical Terms and Methods.
From James Pryor.
- Philosophy Terms.
From Laurie Dee.
- Philosophy Terms and Definitions.
From Ryan Breedon.
- The Red Feather Dictionary of Critical Social Science.
"A Teaching Dictionary of Key Words for Progressive, Radical, Critical, Marxist,
Feminist, Left-Liberal as well as Postmodern Scholars and Students in Sociology,
Philosophy, Economics, History, Social Psychology, Political Science and
Anthropology as well as Religion and Theology." From T.R. Young.
Skeptic's Dictionary. From Robert T. Carroll.
- Spinoza Glossary and Index. From Joseph Yesselman.
- Swedenborg Glossary.
From Leon James.
- Systematic Ideology: Glossary.
Under construction. From Trevor Blake.
- Towards a Philosophical Lexicon.
From Darren Brierton.
- Words of Art.
A glossary of "theory and criticism for the visual arts".
From the Department of Fine Arts at Okanagan University College.
Many philosophical terms, not limited to visual arts or even aesthetics.
Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana, 47374,
Copyright © 1996-2002, Peter Suber.