Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Anthropology repository shutting down

Alex Golub, Shuttering Mana'o, Open Access Anthropology, August 25, 2009.

... I wanted to drop a line with the sad news that I am shuttering the Mana'o repository.

I think it was a great idea to get the repository started, but with a heavy heart I have to admit that it was a bridge too far for me -- at this point in my career I simply do not have the time to devote to the project that it needs and deserves. Those of you have have followed the ups and downs (mostly down) of the server realize that in saying this I'm just accepting a fait d'accompli: its been down for quite a while. ...

I am not yet ready for the repository to give up the ghost. If people have any ideas about how to roll its content over into other repositories, or if someone would like to take it on, then please let me know ...

See also our past posts on Mana'o.

Update. See also comments by Dorothea Salo:

... Dr. Golub's mistake isn't that he wound up needing a rescue; it's that he didn't anticipate and plan for a handoff from the beginning.

It isn't just Mana'o, I'm afraid. How many disciplinary and institutional repositories have done succession planning? If not, why not? Do it. Now. It is flagrantly irresponsible not to. ...