Thursday, August 20, 2009

Readership and royalties from an OA book

Terry Anderson, Royalties from Open Access, Virtual Canuck, August 19, 2009.

I was very pleasantly surprised to receive this week the download stats and a check from Athabasca University Press. I edited the second edition of The Theory and Practice of Online Learning and it was copy edited and now promoted, sold and distributed by Athabasca University Press. I documented the reason for releasing the book under a Creative Commons license as one of Alan Levine’s Amazing Stories of Openness ...

During the first year of distribution 404 copies were sold and at 5% of net sales, my royalty check was for $636. During that year 26,497 chapters or copies of the whole book were downloaded at no charge. This means 1.5% of readers choose the paid route- This may be underestimated as some readers probably downloaded more than one chapter, or more than once. In any case, this $600 is about the same range of funding I have come to expect from the other 5 academic type books I have authored or co-authored. But of course, the fame and glory from 26,000 PLUS readers is unmeasurable! ...