Monday, February 09, 2009

Update on research funding in the US

Here are three recent developments on US research funding.  The OA connection is indirect:  where we have OA mandates in place, such as the NIH, then higher funding translates into new OA literature and lower funding reminds us of the need to maximize at least the return on our national investment in research.  Where we don't have OA mandates in place, both the rise and fall of funding remind us of the lost opportunity to make publicly-funded research more useful to all those who depend on it.

1. The NSF has released its annual figures on federal funding for research.  They show steady and significant Bush-era declines in real spending on science.  Excerpt:
    The most recent data from the National Science Foundation (NSF) show a $3.5 billion decline —from $116.7 billion in FY 2007 to $113.2 billion in FY 2008— in federal funds obligated for research and development and R&D plant (facilities and fixed equipment). Adjusted for inflation, the data reflect a 4.8% decrease in R&D and R&D plant obligations. The expected FY 2008 total is 7.3% lower, in constant dollars, than that recorded in FY 2005. In contrast, during the 4 preceding years (FY 2001–05) total obligations rose 22.2% in real terms

2. Science Debate 2008 reports that the Senate version of the economic stimulus package initially included large increases for science funding.  The Democratic attempt to compromise with Republicans on the size of the package first led to large cuts in the proposed increases, and then to a middle position with smaller cuts.

3. Patrick Swayze in yesterday's Washington Post has an opinion about this:  I'm Battling Cancer. How About Some Help, Congress?  Excerpt:

For me, fighting cancer is personal. Ever since I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in January 2008, I've been waging an intense, often hellacious battle. It's me (with a lot of love and medical support) against my disease. 

But I'm not alone. More than 1.4 million Americans will be diagnosed with cancer this year....

Our individual battles should also be national ones. With Congress about to decide how much money to include for medical research as part of the economic stimulus package, the time has come to take my personal fight to a larger stage. My message to our senators and representatives is simple: Vote for the maximum funding to let the National Institutes of Health fight cancer and other life-threatening illnesses. It's not only good for our nation's health; it's also good for our economic well-being....

And lest we forget: Medical research will also extend and save lives, expand treatment options and improve the quality of life for millions of Americans....

Update (2/11/09).  If you're interested in how the House and Senate stimulus bills affect particular agency budgets, ProPublica has a breakdown.  (Thanks to Jack Balkin.)