Thursday, October 16, 2008

Roundup of blog posts on OA Day, part 9

Here's a sampling of what people were writing about Open Access Day, in no particular order:

Stevan Harnad, Every day is Open Access Day, Open Access Archivangelism, October 14, 2008.
... OA maximizes research access, uptake, usage, impact, productivity, progress and benefits to humankind.

The best thing you can do for OA is to lobby for Green OA self-archiving mandates. ...

Every day is Open Access Day
Tom Roper, Open Access Day, Tom Roper's Weblog, October 14, 2008.
It's Open Access day today; one of the things that I find strange about working in further education is that the open access debate seems to have passed many of my colleagues by. ...
Brianna Laugher, ? Causes, books and other links for 2008-10-16, All The Modern Things, October 16, 2008.
... The open access movement is something I imagine most Wikimedians would support without hesitation. It is another essential piece in the puzzle of the world we are building with Wikipedia and her sisters. ...
Gavin Baker, Reflecting on Open Access Day, A Journal of Insignificant Inquiry, October 15, 2008.
... I’ve spent much of yesterday and today poring through the many blog posts marking OA Day. They were written by researchers, students, librarians, publishers, technologists, and advocates. They range from cursory to extensive; from scientific in tone to personal and emotionally moving; and they espouse the broad litany of arguments in favor of OA. In a word, the response has been simply inspirational. ...

I offer this personal pledge: as long as I’m able to continue working within the OA movement, I promise to rededicate myself to leveraging and building upon the momentum of OA Day — to spread the word wider; to deepen commitments; to motivate us anew to speak up, to act up, and to live out our principles; to ensure the urgent message of OA echoes in the halls of power and in the hearts of scholars, today’s and tomorrow’s — and, if we are very lucky, to make Open Access Day 2009 even bigger and better than the first one.
See also Klaus Graf's collection of (mostly German-language) commentary on OA Day.