Friday, October 17, 2008

Roundup of blog posts on OA Day, part 12

Here's a sampling of what people were writing about Open Access Day, in no particular order:

Today is Open Access Day, Rebecca Crown Library, October 14, 2008.
When information is open access (OA), it is, simply, available for free. There are no barriers to you or to anyone accessing it, reading it, downloading it, or printing it. Neither you nor your library needs to pay for access to OA materials. There are thousands of OA journals in many academic disciplines, and well as countless OA materials in subject repositories or institutional repositories. Both authors and researchers benefit from OA publishing. Authors are able to share their research faster, easier and more effectively; researchers are able to access information faster, easier and more effectively. ...

We are planning for an institutional repository, and an education/outreach program to go with it. Faculty, be sure to come to the faculty seminar on Tuesday, Rocktober 28, to learn about how retaining your rights and publishing in OA models can increase the impact of your research. LIS 748 students, see you soon. Let’s jump start conversations at Dominican.
Kirsten, Open Access Day, Into the Stacks, October 14, 2008.

Since many more eloquent and involved people than I will be talking about open access today, I thought I’d just mention one of my favourite open access journals, Oral Tradition. They’ve been OA since 2007 ...

This is just the sort of small, specialized journal to which a lot of smaller libraries would have difficulty maintaining a subscription. But that doesn’t mean none of our patrons wouldn’t be interested in it — just that the use statistics wouldn’t be able to support the money spent. In fact, I found out about the journal while helping a student with a research paper last spring and immediately added it to my reading list. ...

Chris Rusbridge, Open Access Day, Digital Curation Blog, October 14, 2008.
... Why do I care about Open Access? It's always seemed obvious to me since I first heard of the idea. I've never cared what colour it was, nor how it was done. But I've not published in a toll publication since that day, except for a book chapter where I reserved the rights and put it in the repository. It's fair, it's just; you pay my wages, and you should be able to know what you're getting. But it's easy for me; risk is low, career not at stake, and publishing this way is part of my job. I understand why people with more at stake are more cautious. It's a long road to full acceptance, and we're not doing badly. ...
Michael Meadon, Open Access day, Ionian Enchantment, October 14, 2008.
As I've said before, I strongly support open access. I don't want to sound sanctimonious, but I honestly think the fight for the golden road to open access is one of the most important in academia. ...

Support open access. It's important.
Edward M. Corrado, Open Access Day, blog.ecorrado.us, October 13, 2008.
... I think Librarians and other supports of Open Access need to help get the word out about what Open Access is and why it is important for faculty to be aware of it and the issues that surround open access. I’m not sure how often Binghamton has held these type of events, but I do hope we get a decent turnout.