Sunday, October 19, 2008

Repository widgets released

Repository widgets, JISC Information Environment Team, October 17, 2008.

JISC funded a small piece of work to produce some repository related widgets that could be used on platforms such as Netvibes and iGoogle. ICO3 carried out the work for us and I am pleased to say that there are now a number of widgets available.

You can read about the widgets and add them to your netvibes and iGoogle page here.

Or to see them in action, go to the netvibes universe.

My favourite of these is the SherpaRoMEO widget, which works really well.

ICO3 will be doing some work to get community feedback on these widgets so if you are interested in helping ICO3 to review the widgets or if you just want to express an opinion, post a comment below or contact me directly. I’d be really interested to hear your opinions and ideas.

The purpose of this work was to explore the possiblities of repository related widgets in this area, not to produce polished tools so I think that there is plenty of room for further development ...

Update. See also this email from David Gadd of ICO3:
... ICO3 are now seeking feedback on these widgets from people with an interest in repositories. Feedback is welcome via email or if you would like to have a free one on one consultation with someone from ICO3 to show how widgets can be embedded in your repository work then please do not hesitate to contact us ...