Tuesday, June 03, 2008

TA journal supports immediate OA for publicly-funded research

Guy G. Simoneau and Edith Holmes, JOSPT Supports Immediate Access to Publicly Funded Research, Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy, June 2008.  An editorial.  Only the first paragraph of the editorial is free online, at least so far.  Excerpt:

...JOSPT looks forward to working with authors to provide immediate open access to accepted manuscripts that result from publicly funded research....

Comments 

• If I interpret this fragment of the full editorial correctly, JOSPT will not demand any embargo at all on articles by its NIH-funded authors.  I wish I could read its argument, and I hope that other TA journals will be able to read it.
  • When I read the news, I remembered that the American Diabetes Association, which publishes four TA journals, took the same position under the older, voluntary NIH policy (thanks to the late Peter Banks).  When I reviewed its policy a minute ago, it was unchanged and dated 2008, suggesting that the ADA has reaffirmed its position and that JOSPT is not alone.  Kudos to them both.

Update.  I've recently gained access to the text.  Excerpt:

...[I]n the spirit in which the statute is intended, the Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy fully supports the NIH policy and pledges to make the publicly funded research we accept for publication immediately available through PubMed Central and the JOSPT website....

Further, in an effort to meet the NIH goal “to promote science, health, and commerce in the context of a globally wired and networked world of scientific information,” JOSPT will now also provide open access to articles we publish that report on research funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, the UK Medical Research Council, the European Research Council, The Wellcome Trust, and the Australian Research Council....

PS:  The ERC and MRC policies are strong mandates, but the CIHR and ARC policies, in different ways, allow resisting publishers to block OA without refusing to publish the authors subject to their terms.  JOSPT is providing OA voluntarily when it could effectively resist.  Kudos to the journal and its publishers, the Orthopaedic Section and the Sports Physical Therapy Section of the American Physical Therapy Association.