Saturday, December 15, 2007

The OA panel at Kuala Lumpur

Naina Pandita has blogged some notes on the panel devoted to Open Access: Sharing Research, Expanding Resources at the 3rd Global Knowledge Conference (Kuala Lumpur, December 11-13, 2007).  Excerpt:

...I was one of the facilitators in a workshop on Open Access: Sharing Research, Expanding Resources

In this practical workshop, panelists from Latin America, Asia and Africa showed how Open Access is a winning proposition for all by presenting their own, real experiences that will equip participants with the information, encouragement, and contacts to return to their own institutions as leaders in Open Access. Focusing on Institutional Repositories (IR) as a means to expand the research resources and networks of researchers and research institutions, participants will gain practical suggestions for designing an IR model for their own organizations and to address such topics as building organizational readiness; intellectual property and knowledge sharing issues; technical requirements; resource finding; content recruitment; and digitization.

This workshop aimed to provide the link between the vision and practical guidelines for implementation, by applying common practices to address the following questions in participants own suggestion:

1. How do I get started with Open Access within my own institution, whether it be a research organization or a journal publisher?

2. How do I create a will to build an open access repository or to create (or transition to) an open access journal? What are some of the challenges and success stories?

3. Where can I find resources to the greater open access community?

4. What are the main issues I will need to address and what are some of the best practices (e.g. technical, copyright, digitization, skill sets) in Open Access? ...