Friday, October 12, 2007

Retroactive OA for key articles on superconductivity

Bardeen-Cooper-Schrieffer Theory of Superconductivity Papers Now Open Access, Issues in Scholarly Communication, October 11, 2007.  Excerpt:

From the American Physical Society...

To honor the 50th anniversary celebration of the Bardeen-Cooper-Schrieffer Theory of Superconductivity being held Oct 10-13 at the Univ. of Illinois, the APS has made the three original BCS papers "Free-to-Read":

Comment.  Kudos to the APS.  I proposed a similar strategy a couple of years ago ("When a scientist wins the Nobel Prize, clearly the journals that published his or her work would benefit science as well as their own standing if they provided open access [retroactively] to the breakthrough articles").  I don't flatter myself that APS got the idea from me, but I'm always glad to see steps to provide OA to past research articles, starting with the most important.

Update. Also see the APS announcement.

Update. The American Institute of Physics has taken a similar step, and provided OA copies to 10 articles by this year's physics laureates. (Thanks to George Porter.)

Update. By contrast, Wiley boasts that the Nobel laureates in chemistry, physics, medicine, and economics have published in Wiley journals, but doesn't make any of their articles OA.