Sunday, July 15, 2007

Housekeeping

A spammer has started using my email address as the faked return address in a locust-storm of spam.  There are three consequences that might affect you:

1. If you receive spam apparently from me, it’s a frame-up.  I only send one mass mailing (my newsletter) and it’s strictly opt-in.
  2. I’m receiving hundreds of bounce messages a day now, as ISP spam filters detect the spam and tell me that “my” message will not be allowed through.  I actually appreciate this and wish that all the faked messages could be detected and blocked.  But the bounce messages are so numerous that I have to filter them to the trash in order to save a remnant of my workday.  I realize that one in a thousand of them is telling me that one of my legitimate emails didn’t go through.  I’m sorry to lose that information, which would allow me to re-send the message, but I don’t see that I have any choice.  If I owe you an email, this is now one more reason why my response might be delayed or destroyed.
  3. Your ISP might have added my email address to a blacklist.  If you have reason to think that I’m sending you personal (legit, direct, non-spam) emails that you’re not receiving, then check with your ISP to see whether I’ve been blacklisted and ask it to whitelist me.

Items #2 and #3 are serious inconveniences for both of us.  I’d much rather have legit mail go through than to block illegit mail, if I had to choose, and therefore find these consequences more harmful than spam itself.