Thursday, May 17, 2007

Housekeeping

A Blogger bug has made the three most recent weeks of the OAN archive disappear.  I hope the problem is temporary.

If you look at the list of archive files in the sidebar, you'll see that it stops at April 21.  I've blogged every day since April 21, but Blogger is not listing the newer archive files.

This is a good place to stop reading unless you're a Blogger wizard and want to help.  I don't want to bother anyone else.

I re-published the whole archive, but that didn't solve the problem.

With an FTP app I found that the three unlisted files were all on the right server in the right directory. Hence, the problem seems to be with Blogger's ability to find and list them. For a moment I thought that Blogger might have a limited data structure for holding the list of archive files and that I hit the limit a few weeks ago. But this seems unlikely, since Blogger still lists 267 of my archive files, a very "unround" number. This theory would make more sense if the list stopped at a number like 256.

In any case, the unlisted files were listed as recently as two days ago, when I used them for some research.  It appears that Blogger had the ability to find and list 270 files but somehow hiccupped and lost it.

I've posted the problem to the Blogger Help Group and hope for the best.  But in the past, the group has not proved to be very helpful.  Hence I post the problem here.  I'd appreciate any tips or ideas.