Monday, September 04, 2006

Friend of OA elected chair of international library group

New Zealand's national librarian, Penny Carnaby, has been elected Chair of the international Conference of Directors of National Libraries (CDNL). From her acceptance speech:
There is no doubt in my mind that the lead role the New Zealand Government played in shaping the open access to information agenda at the World Summit on the Information Society in Tunis last year led National Library Directors to support my nomination....

In my role as chair of the Directors of National Libraries, I will focus on connecting the magnificent online stories of the national libraries of the world into one searchable view of the cultures of all nations. I will be promoting a World National Digital Library project which would connect the major digital projects internationally. Wouldn't it be wonderful if a citizen browsing the websites of a small public library on the West Coast or a school in Kaitaia could access not only the resources of all the libraries of New Zealand but all the national libraries of the world, opening up a greater understanding of the rich cultures of each nation?...