Ethics of Belief
Peter Suber, Philosophy Department, Earlham College
Since 1996 I've made link pages like this one for each of my courses. In the meantime, the size of the web and the power of search engines have both leaped forward. The growth of the web has made representative or comprehensive link pages more difficult to produce, and the improvement of search engines has made them less necessary. Link pages can still be very useful, but to make them more useful than the best search engines takes more work than they are usually worth. So I won't be updating this link page (from the previous iteration of the course) but I leave it online in case it has any remaining utility. When I know of specific web pages helpful for a class discussion, then I'll mail out the URLs to the class email list during the semester (and I encourage you to do the same). For general online research on the many topics of the course, I recommend Google. Peter.
- The Ethics of Belief. By W.K. Clifford. From The Secular Web.
- God, Science, and Delusion. An interview with Arthur C. Clark by Matt Cherry.
- Is Incredulity Self-Defeating? By Henry A. Flynt, Jr.
- Letters of William James. Edited by his son, Henry James, Jr.
- The Right to Believe. By Peter S. Williams.
- The Will to Believe. By William James. Web edition edited by Marc Fonda.
- Faith and Reason. Transcripts of the PBS television series, and related content.
- Notes on James' Will to Believe. From J. Wesley Robbins. More notes, from Doug Browning.
- Pascal's Wager. From Doug Browning.
- The Prisoner's Dilemma. Play against the computer. From Nick. Another implementation, from Ann.
Weird beliefs. There are lots of kooks and crackpots on the web. I don't even want to start to list them all. Instead, I list collections of them.
- Alternative Physics and Conpsiracy. From RIE.
- Conspiracies and Extremism. From About.com.
- Conspiracy Theories. From Alta Vista and LookSmart.
- Crank Menagerie. From Tim Riehle.
- Goofy Religions. From Cliff Walker.
- The Junk Science Home Page. From Citizens for the Integrity of Science.
- Kooks Museum. From Donna Kossy.
- Millennium Madness. From About.com.
- Pseudoscience Library. From Don Lancaster.
- QuackWatch. From Stephen Barrett, M.D.
- Strange Enthusiasms: A Brief History of American Pseudoscience . From Robert MacDougall.
- UFO Master Index. From Area 51 Research Center.
- UFO Related Links. From Jose Escamilla.
- Wackos Archive. From Memepool.
- Wired for Weird. Links from The Fortean Times.
- WyrdSci. From Weblancers.
For other philosophy links, see my Guide to Philosophy on the Internet.
See my policies on dead links.
Return to the course home-page for Ethics of Belief.
Department of Philosophy,
Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana, 47374, U.S.A.
email@example.com. Copyright © 1999, Peter Suber.